Drug abuse is an increasing problem in our society that cuts across every national, ethnic, religious, gender and socioeconomic divide and it carries devastating social and economic consequences through its impacts on health and crime.
The UNODC indicates that Nigeria’s current drug trends may worsen unless a more active response is instituted immediately and intensified for subsequent years. Research reports in Nigeria have shown that youth in and out of school between the ages of 11-35 years, constitute the group most at risk of substance misuse. The most effective weapon in the war on drugs that can reverse the growing trend is education.
The critical linkages between multiple drug dependence and HIV/AIDS, violent crimes, unemployment and mental health problems make it a threat to the country’s development efforts.
In line with Freedom Foundation’s commitment to social reformation and human security, House of Refuge was conceived in 2006 to proffer solutions to the mounting and staggering challenges of substance abuse within our society.
House of Refuge is a 25 - bed residential and outpatient drug rehabilitation and resource centre in Lagos; committed to reducing the menace of substance abuse in the society by rehabilitating and reintegrating drug-dependent men back to mainstream society as productive citizens.
The centre provides world-class, evidence-based, holistic drug and alcohol addiction treatment delivered by a diverse team of substance abuse experts. Through our staff, community of partners, volunteers, and network organizations, we offer in-patient, out-patient and community outreach services in the areas of drug and substance abuse.
Our services respond to a wide range of needs from the medical, psychosocial and behavioral to the mental and spiritual. We strive to ensure that the ‘WHOLE’ man is catered for in order to guarantee sustainable outcomes. We also identify social networks at the community level that can positively reinforce our activities and develop a sustaining and supportive environment. Our aim is to encourage behavior change directly in the community and strengthen the spiritual core of our clients. House of Refuge is located in a serene, distraction-free environment, which enables our clients to focus on their recovery.
At the House of Refuge, we tailor our programs to deliver individualized services to our clients. Our residential treatment provides a unique opportunity for our clients go through rehabilitation in an intensive, therapeutic and highly supportive environment.
To create a better society by actively and constructively fighting the scourge of drug and substance abuse and related challenges.
- To rehabilitate and re-integrate drug dependent persons into the society through a holistic approach; equip and empower them to assume personal responsibility for their future.
- To provide a one stop resource for prevention of substance abuse through education and research.
Our Core Values: FREE
- Freedom: We create an atmosphere where clients have the right to choose and create informed alternatives of choice. To think, speak or act without externally imposed restraints.
- Responsibility: We are accountable for our actions towards ourselves, clients and community. We have the motivation, knowledge and ability to honor our commitments and actively participate in ensuring a better society.
- Exemplary Leadership: We act in a way that exemplifies what we expect of each other and from our clients.
- Empathy: We are capable of sharing and understanding others’ emotions and feelings. We exhibit the ability to "put oneself into another's shoes".
- Personalized Evaluations using the ASI and ASSIST tools
- Treatment Planning
- Outpatient rehabilitation services
- Inpatient rehabilitation services
- Medically Supervised Detoxification.
- Family Support and Therapy Programs
- Individual therapy ( Including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)
- Personalized Aftercare Plans.
- Substance Abuse Prevention Education